Please Wait a Moment

United States Department of Housing & Urban Development

Rental Assistance

Learn more about renting and HUD rental assistance programs.
Need Help?
Privately owned subsidized housing - HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.
Public Housing - affordable apartments for low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency.
Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) - find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency.
Local Renting Information 
Rental help in your state - find affordable rentals and special needs housing, get help with your utility bills, and more
Need Advice?
Contact a housing counseling agency or call toll-free 
(800) 569-4287.
Your Rights and Responsibilities
Fair housingTenant rights, laws and protections in your state
Rights of tenants displaced from government-funded projectsSecurity deposits
More About Renting  
Buying vs. renting  
Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD)RAD - allows at-risk public and assisted housing to convert to more stable funding platforms.